"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament." - Padre Pio of Peitrelcina

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Padre Pio on Purgatory


Anyone who met Padre Pio believed that he had a direct connection with the afterlife. When asked about a dead relative or friend, it was fascinating the good Padre always had an answer.

Padre Pio said of Heaven: "Heaven is total joy, continuous joy. We will be constantly thanking God. It is useless to try to figure out exactly what heaven is like, because we can’t understand it. But when the veil of this life is taken off, we will understand things in a different way." 

" . . . at night when I close my eyes the veil is lifted and I see paradise open up before me: and gladdened by this vision I sleep with a smile of sweet beatitude on my lips and a perfectly tranquil countenance . . . " 

"More souls of the dead from Purgatory than of the living climb this mountain to attend my Masses and seek my prayers."

"The souls in Purgatory pray for us, and their prayers are even more effective than ours, because they are accompanied by their suffering. So, let's pray for them, and let's pray them to pray for us."

"You will be surprised to find in Paradise souls you never expected to be there."

"Most of the saved pass through Purgatory before arriving at the fullness of beatitude."

Gerardo De Caro had long conversations with Padre Pio in 1943. In his written notes, he testifies: "Padre Pio had an exact knowledge of the state of a soul after death, including the duration of the pain until it reached total purification."

The Venerable Pope Pius XII
(March 2, 1876 - October 9, 1958)

Pope Pius XII died in Castelgandolfo on October 9, 1958. On that day, Padre Pio told a friar: "Pius XII is in heaven. I saw him during Mass."

One night Padre Pio was sitting alone absorbed in prayer in a room at the convent when an old man entered and sat next to him: "I looked at him but never thought of how he managed to get in the friary at that hour. I asked him, 'Who are you? What do you want?' The man answered, 'Padre Pio, I am Pietro di Mauro, nicknamed Precoco. I died in this friary [in a fire] on September 18, 1908, in room number 4. I am still in Purgatory, and I need a Mass to free my soul from it. God has given me permission to come to you and ask for your prayers.' After I had listened to his story, I said, 'You can rest assured that I will celebrate Mass tomorrow for your liberation.' " Padre Pio reported: "I was agitated. I told the superior Father Paolino da Casacalenda what had happened and asked to celebrate the Mass for Pietro." Father Paolino gave the permission and later went to consult the registry at City Hall. In that date, a fire had killed a man with that name.  

Padre Paolino da Casacalenda

In 1918, Padre Paolino da Casacalenda was the Superior of the convent in San Giovanni Rotondo, when Padre Pio received the Wounds. From 1944 to 1950 he was Superior Provincial in Foggia. He had the idea of organizing a system of reservations for the confessions to Padre Pio that started on January 7,1950. He wrote his memories in a manuscript.

Cleonice Morcaldi with Padre Pio

Padre Pio to Cleonice Morcaldi, a month after the death of her mother: "This morning your mom flew to Paradise. I saw her during Mass."

Padre Pio reported to Padre Anastasio di Roio: "One night I was alone in the choir and I saw a friar cleaning the altar late at night. I asked him to go to bed since it was so late. He said, 'I'm a friar like you. I did here my novitiate and when assigned to take care of the Altar, and I passed many times in front of the Tabernacle without making the proper reverence. For this sin I am in Purgatory, and the Lord sent me to you. You decide how much longer I have to suffer in those flames.' I told him, until the Mass in the morning. He said "Cruel" and disappeared. I still have a wound in my heart. I could have sent him immediately to Paradise, instead he had to stay one more night in the flames of Purgatory."

Padre Onorato Marcucci at the back of Padre Pio

Padre Pio told Padre Onorato Marcucci who was helping him. "Last night I was not well and didn't make you sleep. I have been thinking how to compensate you, so I took a plenary indulgence for your mother to send her to Paradise."

Padre Pio: "I believe that not a great number of souls go to hell. God loves us so much. He formed us at his image. God loves us beyond understanding. And it is my belief that when we have passed from the consciousness of the world, when we appear to be dead, God, before He judges us, will give us a chance to see and understand what sin really is. And if we understand it properly, how could we fail to repent?"

Florence Fine Ehrman'd father contracted in 1965 a severe form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. He asked for Padre Pio's prayers. Her father died in January 1966. She went to Padre Pio in October 1967 asking if her father, a devout Jew, was saved. "Julius Fine is saved, but we need to pray a lot for him."

Padre Raffaele da Sant'Elia a Pianisi

One night in 1944, the friars heard loud voices coming from downstairs saying "Viva Padre Pio". The superior Padre Raffaele da Sant'Elia a Pianisi told the doorkeeper Fra Gerardo da Deliceto to let those people out and lock the door properly. Fra Gerardo went downstairs, didn't find anybody, and the door was double locked as it was supposed to. He went back to report. Padre Raffaele was puzzled and went straight to Padre Pio asking if he knew something. "Oh! Those were soldiers who had died on the battleground, and came to thank me for their salvation."

Fra Modestino da Pietrelcina

In 1945, Fra Modestino asked Padre Pio a comparison between a fire on hearth and the flames of Purgatory. "They compare like fresh water and boiling water." Fra Modestino was from the same town of Padre Pio. His family was a neighbor and his mother grazed the sheep at Piana Romana, like Francesco. He was the doorkeeper of the convent and he did the inventory of the cell after Padre Pio's death. He enjoyed a special spiritual relationship with Padre Pio. 

One day Padre Pio told his doctor: "I'm praying for the good death of my great great grandfather." "But he died more than one hundred years ago!" "Remember that for God there is no past and no future, and everything is present. So God made use at that time of the prayers I'm saying now."

In 1922, Bishop Alberto Costa asked Padre Pio if he had ever seen a soul in Purgatory. "I have seen so many of them that they don't scare me anymore."

A friar testified: "We were all in the dining room when Padre Pio got suddenly up and walked at steady pace to the door of the convent. He opened it and started having a conversation. The two friars that went with him didn't see anybody and started thinking that something might be wrong with Padre Pio. On the way back to the dining area Padre Pio explained. 'Don't worry. I was talking to some souls on their way from Purgatory to Paradise. They came to thank me that I remembered them today in the Mass.' " 

Padre Pio said: "More souls of the dead from Purgatory than of the living climb this mountain to attend my Masses and seek my prayers." 

One time someone asked Padre Pio how Purgatory could be avoided. He replied, "By accepting everything from God's hand. Offering everything up to Him with love and thanksgiving will enable us to pass from our deathbed to paradise."

Nina Campanile's brother Pasqualino died in combat on September 26, 1916. Her mom sent Nina with her teacher Vittorina Ventrella to ask Padre Pio if Pasqualino was saved. "Yes he is saved, but he needs your prayers." She asked again on Christmas 1918. "He is up there!"

Carmela Marocchino's brother Padre Vittore da Canosa died suddenly on January 29, 1958. Carmela asked Padre Pio why the sudden death. "Do you know what Jesus did of your brother? Jesus went into the garden, and there were many flowers, and one was more beautiful than the others. He leaned on the most beautiful and picked it. "Is he saved?" "Yes, but we need to pray." On July 29, she asked again if he was saved. "My daughter, we priests are more responsible in front of God. Let's continue praying." On December 29, 1958, she asked again were her brother was. "He is in Paradise."

Carmela Marocchino asked Padre Pio if her parents were safe. "Even if your parents are in Paradise we need to continue to pray. If they don't need prayers the suffrage are applied to other souls."

Padre Francesco Napolitano reported what he had heard from Orazio, Padre Pio's father. Orazio went to spend some few days with hi son in 1926. He was assigned cell #10. When he tried to enter the cell, two friars stood in front of the door, not letting him in. He explained who he was, to no avail. When he made a step to force himself in, they disappeared. He was terrorized, and went to Padre Pio. "Dad, don't get agitated, those are two poor friars in Purgatory. They have to serve their Purgatory in the spot were they disobeyed the rule of St. Francis."

Padre Pietro Tartaglia

Padre Francesco Napolitano reported that in 1945 Fra Pietro, entering his cell at night, saw a young friar sitting on his desk, with the head down like he was meditating. He asked who he was, but he disappeared. Terrorized, he run to Padre Pio. Padre Pio accompanied him back to his cell and said: "That young friar is a poor novice who is serving his purgatory in this cell. But don't worry he will not bother you again, and you will never see him again."

"The souls in Purgatory repay the prayers that we say for them."

"When we pray for the souls in Purgatory we will always get something back."

 "The souls in Purgatory pray for us."

Padre Giuseppe Antonio da San Marco in Lamis was ill in the Foggia convent. On December 30, 1936, Padre Pio was asked to pray for him because his heath was deteriorating. That night somebody knocked at Padre Pio's door. Padre Giuseppe entered in the room. "How are you doing? They told me that you were gravely ill and now i see you here." "I'm well," Padre Giuseppe replied. "All my suffering has ended, and I came to thank you for your prayers." Then he disappeared. Padre Pio told to the other friars what had happened. Nobody knew yet that Padre Giuseppe had died. Later they found out that he had died at the same time that he had visited Padre Pio.

Maria Pompilio receiving Communion from Padre Pio

Maria Pompilio, when her brother died, asked Padre Pio to intercede so that he could come in her dreams. Her brother came in a dream and said: "Padre Pio assisted me in my agony. He stayed until the Judge judged me. I was given eleven years of Purgatory, but for intercession of Padre Pio the pain was reduced to one year. Many mysteries in the life of Padre Pio will be known only in the other world." The morning after Maria went to see Padre Pio. from afar he said: "Are you glad now?" "Yes, it seems that you are everywhere." "What sense has for me being on Earth if i can't go up and down. I know. Your brother told you that the mystery of my life will be known only in Paradise."


Images courtesy of caccioppoli.com and wikipedia.org

42 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the compilation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Padre Pio, Please give me a sign the Jennifer Brown was reconciled to the Holy Catholic Church before death and that she either is already in heaven or on her way there.

    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear padre pio please intercede for my husband and let him come in my dreams.

    lourdes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me breath better through my nostrils and keep the Catholic Faith within me !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to visit The Blessed Sacrament for Adoration in our Chapel for the first time August 21, 2013, after over 40 years of disobedience. I covered my head with a veil and did not look up towards Jesus for awhile, my eyes casted downward for I felt guilty and ashamed of my sins. I then did look up to the Lord and felt so welcomed and loved and then was able to love Him in awe. Peace I felt was that I could not describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely. I was alos away from the church in grave disobedience for over 20 yrs. I have been back since 2010 and I thank God for such mercy and grace that I don't deserve.

      Delete
  6. St. Padre Pio, ascended into heaven hears our prayers, we pray every day with thoughts that he left us gathered on the application "Thoughts of Saint Padre Pio" available now on Google Play.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=basile.sacri.patropio&hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  7. pls help me as I am having no support to tackle my problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too but we mus try our hardest and have faith

      Delete
  8. St. Padre Pio pray for my father, who is ill with cancer, if it is God's will to leave us help him get to Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. St.Padre Pio please pray for the conversion, protection and salvation of my children and reassurance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I read some where that Padre Pio asked when he died to be in Purgatory, until the last one in Purgatory goes to heaven????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear St. Padre Pio, Please pray for all my godchildren and godmother, All my sisters and their families, my husband, all those I love and my enemies.... and Please pray for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, myself and my wife and others were at a marian shrine and saw a vision sent from heaven.

      Delete
  12. Dear St. Padre Pio, Please pray for my departed family. Please help them ALL get to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. St. Padre Pio please pray for the total conversion of Christy. Please pray for her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blessed Padre Pio Please Pray in interced for my greatniece Ellie. I pray that god will use her to convert the family and many, many other souls. Please pray that she will be baptised in the church this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Saint Padre Pio,
    Help me to be Jesus to everybody and to assist me
    To do God's will alone.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Saint Padre Pio
    Please help lift me in spirits. Help guide me to do what is right while I am on this journeym please hekp me to understand my dreams and visions of the dead. Helo me to understand the places I visit in my sleep.
    I pray to you.
    I pray and send my love to those in heaven hell and purgatory I pray they fund comfort in themselves and forgive themselves for their sins so god can forgive them.
    I pray I am on the path to heaven.
    I pray for my family and friends my loved ones whi have passed away. I pray to cintinue to see and talk to then in my dreams.
    Thank you from my heart to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Saint Padre PIO;
    Please assist in my Prayers to bring My Son and Family back to the true Faith.
    Thank You Remember Me .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bernadette LawrenceJune 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM

    Padre Pio, I love you ,please pray for me and accept me and my children as your spiritual children, please come to us in a dream and help us to do Gods will for our state in life. Please reassure and help us with all our difficculties in life,and give us your blessings, I thank God for all blessings protections and graces bestowed upon you,and thank you for your help and intercession,please help all my family spiritually, emotionally physically and financially,please help my aging father and ask Jesus if he would permit my father to have 5 good yrs. Of life without any complications of his stroke,if it be Gods most Holy Will. Thank you, your spiritual daughtet Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  19. dear padre pio please umask the real truth of this person whose character and intentions am questioning

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Padre Pio,
    Padre Pio please help for deliverance from evil and please help me ask forgiveness for all my sins and for spiritual and physical healing tnx so very much Padre Pio

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saint Pio, please help me to discern God's call and answer it faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Saint Padre Pio, please do not let your spiritual child be deceived, regarding February 2013, and pray that I may love God and Mary as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Padre Pio

    Please let me know where my Mum is?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Padre Pio is truly there to help if you seek him. I promise this is true.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Padre Pio. Please have Pat appear to me tonight while I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for mass and pray. Pray for Yoir intention at mass. Pray for souls in purgatory and use holy oil holy salt holy water for protection and say st michaels prayer for help and protection.say the rosary and thereafter immediately say the chaplet of the most precious blood for continual protection. Receive communion after confession. Receive communion on tongue not on hands from a catholic priest. Peace be with you. Always remember to say the most precious blood chaplet immediately without fail after the Marian rosary for double protection. God bless you and peace be with you.

      Delete
  26. Dear Padre Pio, I ask for your prayers for the guidance of our Father in Heaven in order to have my family restored. Since I know that nothing is impossible for God I thank you in advance and offer prayers for the suffering on earth and in purgatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask the sme for my family, please Padre Pio

      Delete
  27. Padre Pio, please let me know where my daughter is, please, please

    ReplyDelete
  28. Padre. Pio, please. Let me know who killed my father Franck Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fr padri pio m doutful .... help me to over come it.. m skead help me to over shadow it accept me children n my husband as your... children tbough we never saw u never knew u ... yet we ask for your help help us believe

    ReplyDelete
  30. Padre Pio,
    Help us to be One in Truth (One Holy Catholic Apostolic Faith) and to go to heaven--all of us living and dead through Christ Jesus. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Padre Pio,
    Help us to be One in Truth (One Holy Catholic Apostolic Faith) and to go to heaven--all of us living and dead through Christ Jesus. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Padre Pio. Please pray for my family for good health and safe baby delivery. Also Padre Pio please reveal yourself to me in my dreams today. continue to pray for me to be more close to God.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Padre Pio, we ask for your prayers for the soul of our son Sebastian Smith who died very young at the age of 21. We pray everyday for him and need your prayers for him & our family. Please send his Mum a sign that he is ok and is with God. Sebastian we love you and miss you so much...love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Padre Pio, accept my whole family, and help me to persevere in prayer for everyone, take good care of my niece Sor Chiara, and the baby that is to be born from my Granddaughter, that will serve our Lord all his life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. St Padre Pio, please remind me to always accept the Divine Will of God in every present moment. And to not cry about my suffering but to embrace it and offer it for souls and keep my mouth shut about my suffering. Also to respond to Grace that God gives me in every present moment. To know this Grace and to respond to it. Please pray for my mother and father and for all my friends and family who are away from the Catholic Church. Help me to live with Holy Love in my heart in every present moment and to be reminded of it always. Also, please help the people in the Padre Pio Prayer Group who love you very much and seek your intercession. Thank you for your suffering and for hearing my prayers, I love you. To God goes all the Glory and Honor, All Praise be to Jesus Christ, I Venerate and Adore my Blessed Mother in Heaven. and I love St Joseph and all my patron Saints and all the court of Heaven and my Guardian Angel and St Michael and all the choirs of Angels. I especially pray for my boyfriend Mike and my brother Bob and my dog Pierre who keeps me company. Thank you St Padre Pio, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Padre Pio, Please Pray to Jesus for me and for my family, and for all those close to me. especially my sons. Guide them in the right path leading to Jesus. Help me be what Jesus wants me to be. Protect our priests who have a difficult job carrying out the work of Jesus in this world, that they may receive strength and wisdom in guiding your flock. Padre Pio, please tell me what do the visions I've had in my life mean from the time I was little to date..especially the one I saw of Jesus on the cross suffering in the Blessed Sacrament. What has he been trying to tell me? Please teach me to understand the people around me and to always love the Holy word of Jesus. amen I

    ReplyDelete
  37. Padre Pio kindly pray for my father's soul who died in 2001 to get a fair jugdement in purgatory

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers